Chevy City Express Struggles to Gain Market Share in its First Year - Chevy City Express Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Chevy City Express Struggles to Gain Market Share in its First Year

It's unclear what Chevy's sales goals were for the Chevy City Express were for its first year, but I think its safe to assume that the brand's new small cargo van isn't surpassing expectations.

Chevy sold 958 units of the City Express in October, which brings its year to date sales total to 8,362. Unfortunately that leaves it very close to the bottom of the ranking for the segment.

The commercial van segment is dominated by Ford in terms of market share. Ford has a 65% market share of the small commercial van segment, and a 52.8% market share in the commercial van category as a whole. And Ford has only been increasing its dominance. Last year in October Ford's market share stood at 44.2%. That means over a year it has increased by by about 8%.

The Chevy Express, Chevy's larger commercial van, is actually in second place in the segment, but when you look at the year to date sales the Ford Connect has almost twice as many sales as the Express.

So its a incredibly difficult task to take market share from Ford in this segment. Any ideas on how Chevy or another brand might be able to take some ground?

Last edited by cityexpressadmin; 11-23-2015 at 12:29 PM.
post #2 of 11 Old 11-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Going to be tough to beat Ford, maybe over time, just not time within this decade.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-26-2015, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have noticed the same vehicles sitting in the Chevy lot where I live.

I like my van, but do not see it as a serious cargo van though, too small.

They lost the market when they got rid of the Astro....
bowtie likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-03-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePlumber View Post
I have noticed the same vehicles sitting in the Chevy lot where I live.

I like my van, but do not see it as a serious cargo van though, too small.

They lost the market when they got rid of the Astro....
Good point, that's one thing I noticed too, looks like they did too much this time around instead of just improving on the astro and keeping the astro name
post #5 of 11 Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The astro did not pass the revised crash tests requirements I was told.( and was a gas hog at 13.5-14 mpg town)
I have found the van has been a great little hauler for me in drop of and pick up parts we we make and things for repair or materials.
The 3 doors make loading easy.
I can get a lot of weight in it 1500# with no problem
If I had one complaint it's the lack of 8' long capacity.
I'd like to maybe slide a few small thinks in that are 8'like a couple of 2x4 or lengths of steel or aluminum under the passenger seat but the tray is there.
But the tight turning circle is great. My Astor mark 2 used to really annoy me after the tight turning circle of my mark 1. The Astro mark 2 was not the same van as the Mark1, isn't that always the way. The bring out a decent vehicle then find was to cheapen it up and people still buy it based on the early reviews until it reaches it's life cycle or folks catch on.
Warren
post #6 of 11 Old 12-05-2015, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well GM avoided crash testing by going thru Nissan. I agree with the 8' capacity. Unless you go with a pipe rack....

I enjoy the slider door shelving access.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-17-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePlumber View Post
Well GM avoided crash testing by going thru Nissan. I agree with the 8' capacity. Unless you go with a pipe rack....

I enjoy the slider door shelving access.
That with the whole engineering process, save themselves a ton! Way to save a lot of overhead costs. Only thing lacking is sales volume from what I noticed, unless i'm just not seeing them.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Last I checked they were hovering around 500-1000 sales a month. Not a lot but that should be enough to have them keep it for a few more years, and enough that in some major cities you'll spot them
post #9 of 11 Old 01-03-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What makes the Ford Transit so popular or do they have better sales than Chevy?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpressDelivery View Post
What makes the Ford Transit so popular or do they have better sales than Chevy?
I think that it is reliable and it is also the norm. Kinda like how the F-150 is most popular. It is just the standard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy City Express Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page